Friday, December 4, 2009

Little Ears are Listening

I don't know why, but sometimes Darin still catches me off guard when he repeats or asks about something I've said when I didn't know he was listening. Like this morning.

Darin doesn't just wake up on his own. I can't just call his name and he'll get out of bed. Every morning, Tucker (the dog) and I go in. Tucker gives him a lick and jumps up on his bed while I make up a song or rhyme or whatever.

Today was a little different. Tucker still did his routine, but I was struck by just how peaceful and beautiful he looked sleeping this morning. So, I sat down beside his bed and sort of caressing his face, I guess. I went over his nose and thought about how I think he has my nose. His chin is definitely from daddy and as is the peaches and cream complexion he has in the colder months. Not sure yet about his jawline, but the big brown eyes hiding under his sleeping eyelids are from me. Those thick, long eyelashes are from both of us. But the way God put it all together is completely unique. Amazing.

This whole time, Darin didn't stir. Tucker became bored and jumped off the bed and this is when Darin woke up and stretched. I carried him to the living room couch and laid him down before turning on a morning cartoon.

"Say what you were saying to me again" He said.

Surprised, and kind of confused, I asked "what did I say?"

"About my face and how special it is, tell me again."

I hadn't even realized I said it out loud, let alone that he heard me. It made me consider all my actions and what effect they have on him. I'm sure he loved hearing how special he is (heck, I would, too) and I hope that I can be more conscious of always making him feel this way.

As I retold him about each of his facial features, he was just completely relaxed, but his face told something more. I'm not sure what it was, but its like something lit up inside him.

As I retell this story to you, I want to encourage you to make these moments with your child. I know we tell them all the time how much we love them and how special they are, but sometimes its a simple moment of telling them how they're special or having them feel it coming straight from our hearts.

Of course, this beautiful moment was all too brief before my peaceful prince became a demanding king asking for his "strawberry poptart, toasted, with the edges broke off. Oh and a cup of cold milk."

No comments:

Post a Comment