Thursday, December 3, 2009

Love

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

That is probably the first verse we learn as new Christians. I mean, there it is, Christianity in a nutshell.

I've been pondering this verse a lot lately. Not just because of the promise it holds to us, but also the challenge it represents. God tells us elsewhere in the bible that we are to love others as he first loved us.

"...Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34

Wow! This is spoken by God in human form to his disciples prior to his crucifixion. I don't know if I have it in me to love this much. I look at Darin and think "I would never give you up to another person." But that's what happened for me (and for you).

So, I wonder, how much love am I holding back? God gave, and continues to give, us his all, yet I construct walls to keep his other loved people out. Does anyone else do this? How do you break down those walls and become vulnerable?

No comments:

Post a Comment