Tuesday, June 29, 2010

"Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action."



I haven't ever had any role models.


I didn't grow up with big dreams or aspirations. For some reason, I was always content just to get by. I am disappointed and ashamed of that now. I wish I would have given more, tried harder, expected the most of myself. And often I get into a rut where I feel like its too late to make a difference. Lately, I've felt like this. Like a failure of sorts, I suppose.


I want more now. I want to grow. I wish I had wanted this months, years, decades ago. The problem is that I still don't know what that means.


Its hard to follow a map when you don't know your destination. So, I sit idle and run out of gas time and time again.


But today it occurred to me, as I was reading some quotes by Mother Teresa (yeah, I do that sometimes), that it is quite possible I am already doing some great things disguised as small parts of everyday life. Its is possible that I am at my destination and don't even know it. Although I dream someday of being a leader in the women's ministry at church, I know that just as important is being a Christian leader at home. While I long for a promotion at work, its the promoting I do within my own family that matters.


Mother Teresa was this icon, known around the world, yet she was never caught up in that. She knew that she could only love as far as she could reach and then that love would be passed on. She did everything for anyone out of pure love inspired by Jesus. She didn't just show great love to the masses, she showed great love to each heart with each place she went.


I strongly believe that no one else can love my family like I can. As a wife and mother, I have been called to a great duty, to love and cherish my family as God does. When I get caught up in the worldly definition of success, it's hard sometimes to remember who really defines our success and sometimes that reminder comes in unexpected places.


I have a role model now and a goal-- simply to love like Mother Teresa loved-- moment by moment, first to those closest to us then to others in our sphere of influence.


"In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love."



"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop."



"Words which do not give the light of Christ increase the darkness."



**all quotes found here.



No comments:

Post a Comment