Anyway, the point of this post isn't a review of the movie. It's more a speculation on real life romance. When the movie was over, I found myself (as I do after all sappy romantic comedies) wishing I had a romance like that {hubby is an awesome husband, father, provider and we have a very strong marriage, but you know he's not the candlelit dinners kinda guy}. Why can't hubby be more sensitive like blah, blah, blah? Or, why doesn't he speak to me like yadda, yadda, yadda?
But last night, as those thoughts were floating around, I was reminded of something else. That something?? I'm no Giselle. Seriously. I expect hubby to be Prince Charming while I sit on the couch watching Disney movies eating ho-ho's {ok, so I exaggerate, I don't eat ho-ho's}. But I think you get my drift. Giselle was gracious, friendly, bubbly, caring, appreciative, not demanding, loving. She cooked, she cleaned... Heck, she even made her own clothes (I'll not be attempting that any time soon).
As I was processing these thoughts last night, this Gandhi (a great Indian philosopher)quote popped into my head:
"Be the change you want to see in the world."
Only in my case it would be: "Be the change you wish to see in your marriage." Too often, I expect so much of hubby when I am not even giving all I have. God reminded me of the Proverbs 31 woman. While I understand that she (like Giselle from the movie) is a picture of near perfection, that doesn't mean she can't be a guide. When I use this scripture as a checklist, I see just how far I am falling short; much of it just because of true lack of effort.
So, before I go looking at the sawdust in hubby's eye, I'd better address the plank in my own (Matthew 7:3).
That is a cute Movie! Hope y'all have a great 4th of July!!
ReplyDelete