I have to admit, I like snacks. In fact it probably would not be much of a stretch to say I love snack. A handful of popcorn here and there, maybe a cheese stick next commercial. Really, its difficult for me to sit down and eat a full meal without getting up a couple of times to do this or that.
I've heard health experts say that mindless snacking isn't good for our waistlines or our health. Moreover, they never quite fill us up, do they?
I have the same problem with bible snacking. I get a little bit on Sunday at church, a couple bites each day through various devotionals, etc. However, I've never managed to sit down at the table to enjoy the whole feast God has set before me.
While I think it is great that I have a couple of verses memorized to get me through the day, I can't help but know that I am missing out on some great stuff. Daily devotionals are great in the way an inspired writer can take a few verses and apply them to real life. Its just that these little morsels never quite fill us up.
Why haven't I read the bible in its entirety? Two reasons:
1) I have always been intimidated by it. Its so long, I don't know what the words mean, I can't even pronounce some of the names in the old testament, people a lot smarter than me can't even say for sure what it all means. Oh, I could go on and on with more excuses for how it intimidates me, but I think you get the idea.
2) I just don't know where to start! Do you need to start with Genesis and work your way out to truly get it? Some say start with the book of John, others say Proverbs or Psalms, and still others say a little bit of Psalms each day with a chapter of the new testament. Quite frankly, I dont' know where to begin, so I never do.
So, some advice is needed. For those who have, or are currently, reading the bible as a whole, how did you get past my two issues? Do you follow a plan? Do you journal with your bible reading each day?
I appreciate any and all advice! Have a fantastic day.
I don't know. I am anxious to hear advise also. I diddo everything you just said.
ReplyDeleteAs far as reading the entire thing, I use Joy FM's Read the Bible in a Year: http://www.joyfmonline.org/extras/bible_in_a_year.asp
ReplyDeleteThis might sound odd, but I know at one point I picked the shortest books of the New Testament and read them completely (like I read Ephesians in one night, Colossians in one night...stuff like that). But to dig deep, I might suggest a Beth Moore study.
To be in the word daily is tough. My opinion, though, is if you want to start, start with the New Testament.
Read it from front to end, and set deadlines. 100 pages. Make it like a course your taking, so take notes if you don't understand and bring them to Bible class or church or just in conversation with a fellow christian. Make a goal to have it finished by a certain date. Most importantly if you do not understand something make note of it, and move on. Don't get yourself stuck. It is a hard read, but rewarding. As far as intimidating, you have a little boy and high schooler, can the Bible be that bad???
ReplyDelete