Thursday, May 27, 2010

Ramblings on Style

I.Have.None.



Ok, that's not so much a rambling as a statement. But it's a truth I've tried to deny. I am not trendy. I have a general grasp of what's going on in the fashion world, but not enough to actually invest in anything "trendy." Dressing up for me is wearing a pair of heels with my jeans and solid tee shirt.



And its the same way at home. Our walls are plain and off white, as is the carpet. The couch and love seat were hand me downs. My husband won our kitchen table in a game of dice (yes, you read that right). We have a few pictures, sure, but are a far cry from any sort of design "theme."



My "makeup essentials" are a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen, powder, my fav mascara and fav lip gloss. I have some other stuff under the sink, but I can never motivate myself to use it.



I blame my childhood (isn't that what Dr. Phil would say, lol). Really, though. We moved a lot growing up, so never had much on the walls because we would just have to repair the holes in a few months. We didn't have much money either, so clothes shopping wasn't very common. If I found a great pair of jeans at a yard sale, I held on to them suckers FOREVER! We made do with what we had (and what we had was not a lot of options).



The good part of growing up the way I did is that it made me a very laid back person, for the most part. If the hubby wants to go camping, I'm all for it. On trips, I pack lighter than he does.

Our checking account certainly is thankful for my frugal, not very often shopping ways.



But, now that I am approaching (somewhat dragging my feet up to) my 31st birthday, sometimes I want more. I feel like your home reflects a lot about who you are (and I don't like that ours might say we are kinda boring-- b/c we aren't). I'd love to do more with it (even if I don't have a clue where to start, other than a Better Homes and Gardens Magazine).



And, sometimes, I really want to be that stylish wife and mom at dinner. I'd like to have the right shoes and bag and look like I stepped out of a magazine. I wish I had any clue as to what this season's must have color is.



Since I'm not, though, I will be happy knowing that this is how God designed me and my life. Even though I sometimes desire to be this different kind of woman, I love my life so much. I love that you can come over to my house any time (and people do stop by ANY time), plop down on our well-broken in couch and put your feet up. And I will gladly hold your incessantly spitting up baby without a second thought or worry over my tee shirt.



{but if you can lead me to some good blogs on interior design, please do.}



2 comments:

  1. I will go shopping with you! I cannot promise that my house reflects my taste... it more reflects our budget... but I LOVE to spend other people's money on make up, clothes, furniture... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the language isn't great at times, I kind of like WHAT NOT TO WEAR. It has helped me dress a little better -- with a little help from eBay, LOL. WNTW talks about how certain shapes fit the body in a more flattering way, and they (for the most part) avoid trends.

    As far as the house -- I just look through magazines until I find something that I like and then I think, "How do I do that on the cheap?"

    Of course, hanging pix has never been my forte -- I always get nervous about how high to hang 'em ... When you're 4'10" it's hard to guess who's at eye level.

    ReplyDelete