"Don't be God's weakest link"
I love to read the church boards around our community. You know, the ones where they put their announcements or gathering times or some clever quote that makes you consider your relationship with God. They're always right out front by the closest road in order to be seen by the most eyes. My favorite that I have seen (honest to goodness) "Squealing "Oh God" in bed at night is not considered praying."
A church in our town recently had the purple quote above. I don't like it. I've driven past it at least 4 times now and I still don't like it. Do you remember the show "The Weakest Link"? There was a sour, middle aged British lady hosting this game show. Teams of eight people would take turn answering trivia type questions. Each time a question was answered correctly, money went into the pot. If it was answered incorrectly, the accumulated money was lost. At the end of a round, each player voted to eliminate one player, the supposed "Weakest Link." Then the host would say, with possibly one of the most annoying and demeaning British accents, "Malika.(dum).(dum).(dum)... you are the weakest link."
I imagine the people left feeling inadequate, sometime ignorant... lets face it, some of them probably felt like losers. I know that's how I would feel. The show was, like many, all about exclusion. Eliminate, eliminate, eliminate until one remains who is deemed better than the rest.
To me, having something like this on your church announcement board simply reinforces the views many non-Christians driving by have-- that being in relationship with Christ is all about judgement. It might as well say "Make sure your good enough and have your affairs in order before you come before God." And people will eliminate themselves because they would rather be viewed as accepted by the world than be viewed as the "weakest link" by Christians.
And don't we know better. Doesn't the bible say that God works best when we are at our weakest? "But He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."-- 2 Corinthians 12:9
So, for me, I will gladly be God's weakest link, because at the very least that means I am in relationship with Him and at best, that His power is being made perfect in my life.
Please, if you are not in a relationship with Christ right now, don't let your perceived "inadequacies" hold you back. A person doesn't change and then come to Christ, they come to Christ and He changes them.
Have a Blessed Day! Thanks for stopping by,
Malika
Great post- I completely agree with you! :)
ReplyDeleteWow. That last sentence packs a punch. I would agree that more people hold the fear of being the weakest link than we realize.
ReplyDeleteI love those signs too. I have seen some funny ones, but not as funny as the squealing one. Oh my!