Thursday, October 22, 2009

Apple People


I really love apples (or most any other fruit). I can spend a lot of time in the store picking out just the right one, that perfect apple to sink my teeth into and satisfy my hunger. Sometimes we can tell just by looking at it, but sometimes looks can be deceiving. We find that perfect looking apple, just the right shade of pink (or red, green, whatever your preference) with perfectly placed streaks of yellow-green. My mouth waters just thinking of it. But then something weird happens. I pick it up, look it over more closely. My thumb grazes a soft spot, probably been dropped by someone careless. When turned over, a brown spot from sitting in the spot so long. Oh disappointment. This apple is no use to me anymore. It can no longer meet my need for immediate satisfaction. I, too, put it back, left to brown and soften longer. Too bad I didn't stop longer, look deeper. That apple would have made a great pie, but my needs were immediate. I didn't want to make a pie. I don't have time. In fact, if I would make the pie, I'm sure there are plenty of people I could share it with. But I don't want to, not today. Maybe Sunday. Plus, if I put it back just like I found it, someone will probably pick it up and use it. Besides, its just one apple and I don't even know how to bake.

Gosh, is that what it's like with people, too? How often do we overlook or disregard people because either 1) they don't meet our needs or 2) they would take too much effort? Its sad for me to think about. There are so many people out there that have something to offer, but they've been ignored and overlooked for so long, that they themselves don't see it. As Christians, we could help them, but sometimes we just don't feel like we have time to "make that pie." My suggestion is that we make time. We can't assume that someone else is going to come along behind us and save that person. Today just might be delivery day and that apple might never know what could have been.

(btw, I know that the picture is of an orange tree, but its all I could come across that was free.)



1 comment: