Friday, October 16, 2009

Stop. Look. Listen.

I'm reading a really good book right now by Sharon Jaynes. The name of it is "Becoming the Woman of His Dreams." As the title would suggest, Ms. Jaynes offers seven steps wives can follow to have happy husbands. The acronym she uses is PRAISES; "prays for him, respects him, adores him, initiates intimate friendship with him, safeguards her marriage, encourages him, and sexually fulfills him (from page 9 of the book)." It really gives a nice perspective on what men view as important, including little quotes from real men.

I've found that, as with most good books, the guidance in this book is actually applicable in my other relationships as well. Like today, I am on the intimate friendship section and it was talking about listening. She says that just as it is important to stop, look, and listen when crossing the street, it is also important to follow those three steps when communicating. That really struck me because so often I only half listen and I'd say its pretty rare for me to actually altogether stop what I'm doing, look the person directly in the eyes and just listen. So, thats my "I'm gonna try really hard to do this" goal. So, if any of you catch me only half listening, feel free to call me on it and if I've actually heard what you said I will appreciate it.

IN CLAYTON FAMILY NEWS: The school called me at work because D fell on their walk and busted his lip. He also may have minimally chipped his front two teeth. By the time they called, he had already calmed down and was watching a movie. It still really made me sad. Its those times that I wish I was staying home with him, not b/c he wouldn't have done something similar there, but so that I could be the first one to comfort him. At least I can be the first to kiss his boo boo after work (I hope at least, idk, there are a couple of girls there that may beat me to it, lol). I called the dentist, just in case, and he said just to give him some ibuprofen in case the gums are swollen, otherwise, nothing to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment