Friday, November 6, 2009

T.H.I.N.K.

It seems recently that I've become more in tuned with some aspects of my personality that are less than desirable. I often discover something, vow to change or address it only to find myself repeating the same action just a few days later. So, since I spent a lot of time yesterday reflecting on my speech, I feel like to be effective I should continue to reflect and address this issue. I am trying to follow the T.H.I.N.K. acronym (see yesterday's post for more info). So, for the next five blogs, I'm going to look at each letter, starting with the T for "is it True"?

Webster defines true as: steadfast, loyal; honest, just; ideal, essential; consistent; accurate. Wow, thats a lot of beef for one little word. Its great that this little word is first because I think if we discipline our speech to speak what is true, many of the follow adjectives of the acronym fall into place. Or are, at least, much easier to address.

I don't think that I can address speaking in truth without taking a hard look at one of the most common traps that we, especially women, fall into: gossiping. Gossiping is definitely a vice of mine and I know that I am not alone. After all, I'm not talking to myself. But what we have to remember is that what may start out as innocent can quickly grow into something hurtful to others, regardless of our intentions. What begins as a bit of bonding between two coworkers can quickly lead to the ostracization of another coworker. Before we start to spill that juicy tidbit we heard or talk about the latest mistake someone made, stop and think: Who is the victim in this? Most often it is the person being talked about, but it isn't always only that one individual. Would I say this to them directly? If not, lasso that thought back in and keep it to yourself.

My heart says there is more to discuss on this topic, but I will have to save it for another day since its lunchtime now and I am quite hungry.

My prayer for myself and the women in my life today is to recognize the power of our words and to use them for good. May we be women who build others up and who they can trust with their hearts. May God's intentions be our intentions when we speak. And may we all be blessed with the gracious, loving words of another today. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment